In today’s market, we’re working smarter and leaner – looking for cost savings for our warehouses and distribution centers without making a huge sacrifice on quality.
With used rack systems (including standard and cantilever rack), there’s a potential savings of 40% to 50% compared to new. Many reputable distributors are also offering “like new” quality and refurbished rack systems that are safe and reliable – but how do you find the good stuff from someone you can trust?
Remember, if you’re shopping used for a bargain deal – you get what you pay for. So to be wise, you do some homework on the front end of your purchase. We’ve put together a very helpful list for you of some common sense tips to consider when you’re in the market for used pallet rack.
8 tips on buying used rack – how to find quality rack and a provider you can trust
- First, be prepared to provide the rack distributor with measurements of product or pallets you’ll store and an estimated quantity and weight on each level. Based upon your needs, a rack system expert will be able to guide you to the appropriate used or refurbished system.
- Once you locate a company near you, find out how long they’ve been in the business. Usually a company’s “About Us” page will provide some history. If finding someone you can trust is important, call or email them to ask questions or for references. A quality provider will be more than happy to accomodate you.
- If possible, take a look at the equipment yourself. With used, you’ll want to judge by integrity and don’t worry about the scratches and dust – it’s used.
- Find out how the equipment is selected and rated. Ratings define safety and quality. Ask about how it measures up to today’s industry standards.
- You’ll need to know the manufacturer and style of rack. This will help when you need to order more bays or replacement components. Teardrop style is the most common rack manufactured and the easiest to add-on to or replace.
- Ask what the suggested ‘used’ weight capacities are. Because they’re used, the weight capacities may not be the same as original manufacturer specs.
- If you’re in an earthquake risk area, make sure the used/refurbished rack has appropriate seismic ratings.
- Find out who your after-sale contact person is. If you need any assistance or have questions, it’s helpful to know who will be there for you.
Used and refurbished rack options
W.W. Cannon takes careful steps to provide only the highest quality refurbished/used rack systems that we suggest is safe for your everyday use.
Used Rack Inspection – Each and every rack system component is thoroughly inspected by our in-house, expert technicians before they’re verified structurally sound and approved as safe for use.
An extremely high level of inventory control is used to carefully select and separate quality of rack. Our techs look for structural damage, rust, and other issues that would prove a safety risk. Anything that’s not up to our general use safety standards gets scrapped.
Refurbished Rack – If you want to avoid a “used” appearance and clean looking bays are important to you, then refurbished rack would be your option.
Used rack is sold “as is” which may mean a tiny bit of dust or rust and scratches. Refurbished rack has been restored to “like new” condition in not only its fresh painted appearance but also a boost to its strength and integrity.
Unlike other companies who contract out the work, W.W. Cannon has an in-house team of expert technicians plus fabrication and painting booths to handle all refurbishing on-site.
Benefits to buying used pallet rack from W.W. Cannon
- Possible 40 to 50% cost savings off new
- Available now and ready to ship – no wait
- Reputable and respected material handling solutions provider since 1938
- In-house refurbishing operation
- Quality inspected and approved by rack experts
- In-house experienced material handling installation crews
- Rack inspections and equipment service plans
With a bit of used rack education along with a trusted partner, buying used or refurbished pallet racks can be an ideal economic choice for your operation.
Contact us today to inquire about our inventory of used and refurbished rack systems. To speak with us directly, call us at 800-442-3061. We’re happy to assist you!